The Kogi State Commissioner for Health, Dr Saka Audu, on Sunday said that the alleged unknown disease has been revealed to be gastroenteritis and therefore called for calmness.
The state Ministry of Health, had in a statement, said that the disease took many lives in Okunran, Okoloke and Isanlu-Esa in Yagba West Local Government Area.
“The current information available to us is that the disease actually started six weeks ago in Okoloke village in Yagba West, which is a settlement that is predominantly inhabited by Fulani herdsmen.
“There have been cases of reported deaths following abdominal pain, vomiting and diarrhoea, but the patients who showed signs of illness had since been evacuated and transported to Kogi State Specialist Hospital Lokoja, for better treatment.
“So far, we have evacuated 39 patients from Okoloke area and only six of them were admitted and have shown significant sign of improvement while others have since been discharged.
“Out of the six that were admitted, three of them were diagnosed of gastroenteritis and the remaining three were just cases of malaria, and they have shown remarkable signs of improvement,” Audu said.
“We will investigate and trace the dead people to the grave yard and come up with the correct figure.
“We want to assure the general public that government is doing all that is humanly possible to stay on top of the situation and forestall further loss of lives.
“We will continue to inform the public as the investigation progresses,’’ Audu said.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate