The Lagos State Government, through the state Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) has urged parents and guardians to warn their children and wards against the use of fireworks, popularly called “banger” during this yuletide season.
General Manager LASEMA, Mr. Michael Akindele who gave the warning yesterday, in his Alausa office, said that a special team consisting of the agency, the police and other security operatives has been mobilized to apprehend offenders for prosecution.
He also warned dealers and end users of fireworks to steer clear of the state because of the potential hazard of the item to the people and the environment.
Akindele reiterated the earlier ban on the use of the device by Lagos State Police Commissioner in order to further ensure safety of lives and properties in the state.
He recalled the ordeal of December 26, 2012 Jankara fire outbreak caused by the storage of fireworks in some of the shops leading to loss of lives and properties worth millions of naira.
“The careless use of fireworks may be dangerous to the users as they stand the risks of sustaining burns and wounds as well as harming bystanders or cause fire outbreak when thrown on inflammable materials, in this period of fuel scarcity and potential storage of it in homes and other public places,” he said.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate