The Special Adviser to President Buhari on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, in an interview, revealed how some fake Boko Haram members duped the administration of former President Goodluck Jonathan.
He said the fake sect members were paid millions of dollars to secure the release of the Chibok girls.
Adesina also said “We need to know a little bit of what happened behind the scenes between the last government and some people masquerading as the leadership of Boko Haram, who wanted to get the Chibok girls released.
“They actually turned it into a franchise, it became a commercial thing and they got money, possibly in millions of dollars, only for the government to discover it had been deceived.”
Adding that “They kept saying they could get the girls released; they could interface with Boko Haram and they went laughing all the way to the bank with all that money, and nothing happened.”
“So you should understand why this government is being careful and the President has said the genuineness of the leadership of Boko Haram must be determined before any negotiation takes place,” Adesina said.
The President’s media aide also said Mr. President insists that his government will only discuss with authentic representatives of Boko Haram.
He also added that their level of involvement in the sect will also be verified, before any talks will commence.
Over 200 girls were kidnapped from the Government Secondary School, Chibok, Borno state, by suspected Boko Haram members on April 15, 2014.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate