Job Title: Senior Finance Officer
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Employer: Mercy Corps
Position Category: Full-time X Part-time AND Regular Temporary
Salary Level: 5
PROGRAM/DEPARTMENT SUMMARY: The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Abuja, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY: Working in the Finance Department under the direction of the Finance Manager, the Senior Finance Officer will ensure the accuracy and completeness of Mercy Corps accounting records and will have primary responsibility for managing the monthly accounting cycle.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Daily management of the finance officer(s) and the assistant finance officer
2. Oversee daily cash count with the assistant finance officer
3. Manage the month end accounting close process, ensuring the accuracy and completeness of the ledger, and all supporting documentation in all country offices.
4. Primary responsibility for maintaining the general ledger software files, including set up and maintenance of new project accounts, regular back-up of files, etc.
5. Review and upload data to the general ledger
6. Prepare revenue recognition entries and other final closing journal entries
7. Maintain filing of monthly journal entries
8. Prepare month end balance sheet account reconciliations
9. Coordinate the preparation and ensure the on-time submission of the monthly reporting package
10. Oversee the maintenance of all accounting records, ensuring that records are complete, accurate and safeguarded
11. Assist in the training and support of the finance officers in field offices, including partners, and answering daily questions, training new hires, making field visits, etc.
12. Monitor cash and bank balances and coordinate monthly cash flow requests from sub-offices; prepare consolidated country cash flow requests
13. Assist the Finance Manager in responding to audit inquiries
14. Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
15. Other duties as assigned by the Country Finance Manager.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Assistant Finance Officer; Finance Officer
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Country Finance Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Local Implementing Partner Institutions, Program Staffs, Administration staffs
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• Four or more years of general ledger accounting experience is required.
• A university degree in accounting is required. Advanced degree in accounting from recognized university or professional accounting qualification such as ACA, CPA, ACCA is desired
• Two or more years experience in the Finance Department of an international NGO is preferred.
• Two or more years of experience in grant management
• Experience in institutional capacity assessment and capacity building is an advantage
• Demonstrated competency with computerized general ledger software such as Serenic Navigator, Quick books, Sun systems
• Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel
• Prior management experience and strong organizational skills
• Excellent oral and written English skills
The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. A demonstrated ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary. A high professional standard of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures is essential. The Senior Finance Officer must be willing to travel to Mercy Corps field offices and project sites.
Deadline: 6th December, 2013
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate