Some Boko Haram terrorists have begun to surrender with their weapons voluntarily following relentless onslaught by troops, the Defence Headquarters has disclosed.
“Some of them submitted themselves and their weapons to the leadership of the troops in Konduga during a further campaign at the weekend,” the DHQ said in a statement posted on its website on Sunday.
“As the heat on the terrorists continues, five terrorists surrendered on Saturday (Sept. 20) with all their weapons to troops at Konduga pleading for mercy.”
According to the statement, other captured terrorists who refused to surrender have also been giving useful information on the subsequent plans of the group in an apparent effort to cooperate.
The DHQ recalled that in the last few days there had been several attempts by desperate terrorists to gain entry into Konduga which were foiled by the troops.
The terrorists’ move, according to the statement, is aimed at recovering the bodies of their prominent fighters who died in previous encounters in the area.
The DHQ also said that its troops had recovered more weapons during mop-up operations while some of their terrorists’ vehicles had been destroyed.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate