The Presidency has reportedly said that it’s ready to submit the 2017 budget to the National Assembly.
The 2017 budget was prepared early in order to avoid the kind of delay which is being experienced with the 2016 budget, a source told The Guardian.
“We are happy that the National Assembly has accepted responsibility and offered to take a look at the grey areas of the 2016 budget. Mr President is particularly pleased with this position,” the source said.
“We are not in any way pleased that the budget has not been passed up till now. This was not our making at all. In fact, as we speak, we have begun detailed work on the 2017 appropriation document to make it ready to be forwarded to the National Assembly.
“But we can’t do that just yet because the 2016 budget is being awaited. Final work is currently ongoing before it is brought to the president for assent,” the source added.
President Muhammadu Buhari is yet to sign the 2016 budget due to some details which he found unsatisfactory.
The budget has been the centre of controversy since it was reported missing from the Assembly premises in January.
Senate President, Bukola Saraki later said that two different versions of the document had been submitted to the legislative house.
The controversy led to the sacking of the Director General of the budget office, Yahaya Gusau and the redeployment of 22 officials from the Ministry of Budget and National Planning.
The budget was finally passed on March 23, 2016 after the Senate and the House of Representatives both received the requisite report from the Joint Committee on Appropriation.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate