Job Title: UN House Administrative Associate
Job ID: 41943
Employer: United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Location: Abuja, NIGERIA
Application Deadline: 03-Dec-13
Type of Contract: FTA Local
Post Level: GS-7
Languages Required: English
Duration of Initial Contract: Initial duration of one year
• Under the close supervision of the UN House Manager, the UN House Administrative Associate assists in the management of all administrative services of the UN Common Services in the UN House and other UN Common premises.
• The UN House Administrative Associate demonstrates a client-oriented approach, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
• The post is funded by the Cost Shared Budget and the contract is limited to UN Common Services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Summary of Key Functions:
• Maintains an overview of the Common Services activities and ensure timely administrative support.
• Assist in Monitoring the Compliance of all Operational Systems and Procedures.
• Exercise control and administration of Common Services expendable and non-expendable properties.
• Supervision of UN House Mail Room, Meeting Rooms, Car Parks, Internal & External Cleaning.
• Review of telecommunications systems and services periodically.
• Prepares correspondences, reports, evaluations and justifications on general administrative or specialized tasks.
• Keeps supervisor aware of potential problems areas for immediate solution
Maintains an Overview of the Common Services activities and ensures timely administrative support focusing on achievements of the following results:
• Provides effective response to general and specialized work.
• Assigns work to general services staff to meet functional requirements.
• Monitors work of outsourced contractors/suppliers.
• Completes job orders for interior and exterior of common areas
• Takes proactive steps for maintenance of equipment and facilities in the UN House & other UN Common premises
Ensures control and administration of Common Services expendable and non-expendable properties focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Initiates timely actions for replacement/procurement of both expendable and non-expendable properties.
• Develops procurement plans for both expendable and non-expendable properties.
• Prepares and submits quarterly reports of expendable and non-expendable properties to the UN House Manager.
• Prepares bi-annual reports on non-expendable properties (UN Properties & Government donated properties.
• Puts in place appropriate monitoring/tracking system for all non-expendable properties.
Ensures compliance with all operational systems and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Assists in putting in place relevant internal check systems for common services and facilities.
• Provide accurate information and reports to the UN House Manager on breach of operational systems and procedures
Ensures efficient and effective supervision of UN House Mail Room/Registry, Meeting & Conferences Rooms, Car Park, Internal & External Cleaning focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Proper screening/collection of all mails from the Security Guard Post.
• Prompt dispatch of all mails to the agencies mail boxes in the mail room.
• Proper receipt and closure of Diplomatic pouches by the authorized officials.
• Prompt allocation of meeting/conference rooms & supervision of sitting arrangements for meeting.
• Maintains orderliness, cleanliness and adequate security at the car parks.
• Pays special attention to internal and external cleanliness of UN House & other Common premises
Ensures review of telecommunications systems and services periodically focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Functionality of PABX and other telecommunication equipment at all time.
• Generations of PABX bills and comparison of same with the Service Providers bills.
• Prompt payment of bills to the Service Providers.
• Distribution and recovery of shared common charges with all the agencies
Ensures preparation of correspondences, reports, evaluations and justifications on general administrative or specialized tasks focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Draft letters, memo, reports and taking minutes of meetings.
• Participate in evaluations of EOI, RFP, ITB etc.
• Draft justifications for waivers where necessary for procurement of services and goods
Ensures Supervisor is aware of potential problems areas for immediate solution focusing on achievement of the following results:
• Provides timely information on problems areas.
• Proposes to the House Managers solutions to deal with problems
Impact of Results:
• Decides on adequate and appropriate use of supplies.
• Ensures that services and maintenance of premises are in accordance with organizational standards, rules and regulations and as per contractual arrangements.
Building Strategic Partnerships;
Maintaining information and databases
• Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
• Maintains databases of donor information
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing;
Basic research and analysis:
• Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
• Documents innovative strategies and new approaches
• Identifies and communicates opportunities to promote learning and knowledge sharing
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures;
• Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
• Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
• Identifies new and better approaches to work processes and incorporates same in own work
• Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
• Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development:
Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change;
• Documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
• Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of Management Systems:
Data gathering and implementation of management systems
• Uses information/databases/other management systems
• Provides inputs to the development of simple system components
• Makes recommendations related to work procedures and implementation of management systems
Maintains effective client relationships
• Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
• Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
• Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
• Responds to client needs promptly
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management:
Gathering and disseminating information
• Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
• Prepares timely inputs to reports
• Maintains databases
• Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
• Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
• Self-development, initiative-taking
• Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
• Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
• Creating synergies through self-control
• Managing conflict
• Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
• Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience:
• Secondary education. Certification in Administration. University Degree in Business, Finance or Public Administration desirable, but it is not a requirement.
• 7 years of relevant experience in administration or programme support service. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.). Experience in handling of web-based management systems.
• Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station
Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Working knowledge of the language spoken in the duty station is highly desirable, but is not a requirement.
The UN is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
Support InfoStride News' Credible Journalism: Only credible journalism can guarantee a fair, accountable and transparent society, including democracy and government. It involves a lot of efforts and money. We need your support. Click here to Donate